Thursday, August 9, 2012

God's Family



How would you describe "family"?

Does "family" for you necessarily mean blood-related?

Who are the members of your "family"?

What would "God's family" look like? What characteristics are within it?

The "family" of today -- in this modern world -- does not match "family" of when I was a child of the 60's and 70's. Maybe it's because I'm older and have more experience under my belt to see with different eyes; maybe it's because "family" was more of a forced title even under the most unhappiest of times for others back then; maybe it's because of the whirlwind of changes over the years in our society -- the good, the bad (with varying opinions of which is which). Nevertheless through the ages, family has been defined more than by flesh and blood. It just seems under harsher circumstances now for many.

Over and over, I hear about individuals who are estranged from their relatives, especially their mothers, fathers and siblings. At Hollywood UMC, we are no different than others in the world where persons who are gay, lesbian, transgender,… have been exiled from their homes, from their loved ones, from their flesh and blood, from their "family."

Recently, I spoke with someone who is dealing with a serious medical condition. I asked this person if they were in contact with their parents, and their response was something along the lines of "I haven't spoken to my dad in over ten years; I haven't spoken to my mother in three years. They don't have a clue what's going on with me now, and they don't want to know. I've accepted it and am in a better place. The church is my family. You are part of my family."

Another scenario…  A dear friend of mine no longer has any blood relatives. They've all passed away. The guy is my age. Without hesitation, I've accepted him as family. He's my brother, and I'll make sure he's not alone. Not in this lifetime. And my family has accepted him as well.

Do you know individuals like the ones I've described (as well as others)?

When I placed it before the study group and asked how they would describe the family of God, here are a few of the images:
* Caring
* Supportive
* Loving
* Selfless
* Forgiving
* Respectful
* Diverse in all ways including thought

How about "obedient"?

Did you just hear the skidding brakes and take a step back from the computer?

It makes you shudder a bit -- at least it did me. "Obey. Because I told you so. That's the way it is."

That's what goes through my mind when I first hear "obey." Like a direct order. But is that what Jesus is really getting at in this passage? Just do it?

Following God's call, which I've written about previously, is not necessarily easy to do. During our discussion, someone asked, "How do you know if it's God's call?" My response was "Talk with someone. I've learned if I try to figure it out on my own, I'll tend to shy away from the call; avoid it. Sometimes, I know deep-down inside it's the thing to do, but I'm frustrated by it. Concerned. But the person you talk with…. they'll appreciate being trusted. Plus it's good to get confirmation."

To obey though without questioning? Is that what Jesus is telling us to do 100% of the time? Absolutely not. As Victoria from the study group said, "How can you grow without questioning?"

Yet… once we know it's God's will -- sound and clear -- we are called to follow-through and obey. That takes courage. Even if it means leaving our blood family to join a new one.

In the life you live, who is your mother(s), father(s), sister(s) and brother(s)?

And for the person who has no "family," what are we called to do?

NEXT…
Storytime

No comments:

Post a Comment