Friday, September 14, 2012

Storytelling -- Part 3



Above are two links to the text in this blog post – one from the New International Version and the other from The Message. I’ve included both versions, because verse 25 tends to make one tilt their head – as it relates to the NIV (well, at least my head tilted). Yet, it’s important since it ties in verse 24.

While I'm continuing with the "Storytelling" series, if I were to give this particular post another title, I think it would be THE TRUTH.

What does "the truth" mean? Can the truth be hidden and remain unseen forever? Is the truth meant to actually be seen or heard? How dangerous can the truth be?

Run from it, put a lid on it, blast it from kingdom come,… the truth is the truth and it will eventually come to light. Keep it a secret for as long as you can, but ultimately it's going to be revealed.

In my personal worldview, no one can keep a secret from God. How about the first book of the Bible for an example with the story of Adam and Eve? Their first instinct is to hide (the truth) after doing something wrong. Doesn't the same hold true for us?

Relating what I'm writing to a lamp on a stand in these verses…

When I was in Israel in late 2004, I bought a couple of antiquities – one was an Early Bronze juglet for oil and the other was a Helenistic lamp. Now these items are from a longgggg time ago -- the juglet from estimated 3100 BC - 2800 and the lamp from 350BC - 280 BC. The lamp is pictured below, and its actual size is small, as in about three-quarters the size of my hand (in length).



Do you see the spout on the clay lamp bowl? It was made to hold a wick. The bowl would contain a few ounces of oil serving as fuel (the oil being kept in the juglet).

It gives one perspective, as yet again in the parable Jesus is providing his listeners something in which they can relate. Everyone has a lamp at their home -- so they can see.

For me… I think Jesus is giving the crowd a foretaste of what's to come if they accept the truth of his ministry. In a way, he's saying, "Don't hold back on the good news. Be open with it, live it, share it." But… not everyone is going to accept it. The good news (the truth being shared by Jesus) is dangerous -- especially to those in power.

So Jesus is telling us to let our light shine. Which is the tie-in to verses 24 and 25.

In considering these verses, the onus is placed on each of us to act first. For example, to learn, we must study. The more we study, the more knowledge we gain. To love, we must love first. To have friends, we must be friendly first.

That's why, "With the measure you use, it will be measured to you -- and even more."

Then there's verse 25. In the NIV, it seems to come across (to me) a bit harsh -- as if the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

Hence my inclusion of The Message which puts it another way -- "Giving, not getting, is the way. Generosity begets generosity. Stinginess impoverishes."

Isn't that THE TRUTH? Have you ever experienced this?

For me, I can relate to it this way. Every mission trip / project in which I've participated, I return home juiced -- my heart filled to the brim with love, thankfulness and blessings. All I do is give of myself for a few days so the lives of others may be better. In turn, I receive so much more than I could ever imagine -- from the people whose homes and lives have been rebuilt as well as from those who have contributed to sending me forth (financially or by other means) and are supporting me (with love and prayer). By my act of giving, others give. The act of generosity begets generosity.

In combining the two verses (24 and 25),…

We must act but never be satisfied, because whatever we're satisfied with will quickly slip away. Like with our health, the only way we can get stronger or healthier is to make important changes (i.e. -- exercising, change of diet, being active). Like with a skill, the only way we can keep ahead is to learn more techniques, be involved, try new things. Otherwise… we'll be left behind.

Another way to look at it is… as we discussed in the study group… consider the things we possess (literally, figuratively). Are they merely for our pleasure, our use, for me, me, me, me? Or are they to be shared and enjoyed by others? To impact lives in positive and meaningful ways?

Whatever the truth may be for us at this time, what are we being called to do? I agree with Jesus. We are being called to shine our light and to give so the world might truly be impacted in amazing ways.

NEXT…
This life we live; everything has a beginning

No comments:

Post a Comment